- - - - -

If Alex is as good as everyone says he is, No need to take receiver Round 1

31 replies to this topic

#16 OFFLINE   Vin

The shadows betray you because they belong to me!

• Mods
  • 34,352 posts
  • Joined 10 Years, 5 Months and 18 Days

• Favorite 49er
    VDforTD's mom's mom.

• Player Sponsored
    Brad Brad

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:13 AM

Crick definitely doesn't look as impactful as Justin Smith. Like phly said...high motor player. I think he could be solid barring injuries, but not the guy who takes on 2 guys, gets to the QB, enforces against the run, etc. Not on that level.

#17 Guest_v-ault2_*

• Guests
  • Joined 45 Years, 8 Months and 1 Day

Posted 08 February 2012 - 06:46 PM

Meh, I knew I shouldn't have asked Vin his opinion on Sanu. He doesn't have a clue how to scout receivers. Before the year, Desean jackson was the best in the NFL according to him. Oh and his Alex Smith opinion changed about 10 times during the course of the season. But hey, he's really funny with his emoticons and sarcasm.

#18 OFFLINE   phlysac

Cruelty!

• Elite
  • 12,216 posts
  • Joined 10 Years, 5 Months and 19 Days

• Favorite 49er
    Ronnie Lott

Posted 08 February 2012 - 07:06 PM

Sanu is a risk. Purely an "upside" pick. Tremendous athleticism, but extremely raw. Has only played WR for 3 years (like Michael Crabtree.) Sanu was a quarterback and safety in highschool and sat out his Senior season because of his age.

Alot of the things v-ault said have merit. It's up to the people who get paid to evaluate to determine if his issues are a lack of ability or a lack of technique and experience.

I tend to lean towards inexperience.

#19 OFFLINE   Enigma

Giovanni Carmazzi

• Elite
  • 2,190 posts
  • Joined 8 Years, 5 Months and 24 Days

Posted 08 February 2012 - 07:41 PM

View Postv-ault2, on 08 February 2012 - 06:46 PM, said:

Meh, I knew I shouldn't have asked Vin his opinion on Sanu. He doesn't have a clue how to scout receivers. Before the year, Desean jackson was the best in the NFL according to him.

By all means, enlighten the mere mortals of this forum with insight into the arcane art of scouting. Bonus points will be added for use of iambic pentameter and paying particular attention to effectively evaluating prospects with less than superlative athletic ability (e.g., Calvin Johnson). I prefer the Millen technique, but I am open to other possibilities.

#20 OFFLINE   Fatso

Confused with class

• Holics
  • 4,401 posts
  • Joined 10 Years, 6 Months and 25 Days

• Favorite 49er
    Brad Pinion

Posted 08 February 2012 - 08:24 PM

View Postv-ault2, on 08 February 2012 - 01:12 AM, said:

1) You're thinking of Floyd's older brother. He was drafted in the 3rd by the Rams. I'm talking about the Malcolm Floyd that plays on the Chargers currently that was undrafted out of Wyoming. He had one of the better YPC's this year and has great size.2) I didn't mention Boldin. 3) Correct on Brown, as he was a 6th round pick.As for pass rusher, I agree. There are obviously more pressing needs, but why not build s strength into a force? We add another capable rusher and we're talking about one of the GOAT Front 7's of all time

Wow I swear I thought it said "Anquan boldin- undrafted", my bad.

View Postphlysac, on 08 February 2012 - 08:38 AM, said:

WR, CB, and DT, at least Pre-Combine, seem to have the deepest pool of "late-1st/early2nd" talent.

Outside of those positions, there are a handful of players I definitely wouldn't mind at #30, and you're absolutely right if WR isn't clearly BPA...

C - Peter Konz
TE - Coby Fleener
OLB - Andre Branch, Whitney Mercilus
DE - Jerel Worthy, Fletcher Cox, Dontari Poe (NT), Kendall Reyes

Branch is the guy I'm looking at more closely.

WOW have you switched over to the dark side? Welcome!

What do you guys think about Bruce Irvin out of WVU?

#21 OFFLINE   phlysac

Cruelty!

• Elite
  • 12,216 posts

• Favorite 49er
    Ronnie Lott

Posted 08 February 2012 - 08:40 PM

View PostFatso, on 08 February 2012 - 08:24 PM, said:

Wow I swear I thought it said "Anquan boldin- undrafted", my bad.

WOW have you switched over to the dark side? Welcome!

What do you guys think about Bruce Irvin out of WVU?

Dark Side? Nah. I just appreciate that he's a good player and could be great in this offense. I just don't favor the "luxury" of the pick that highly in the draft.

I hate Bruce Irvin (admitted Pitt homer.) I see him as being a speed-only guy. Extremely undersized. I'd venture to say that his "boom" is Manny Lawson.

But again... my opinion is tainted. I'll hope to have a fair eval of Irvin later in the process.

#22 Guest_v-ault2_*

• Guests

Posted 08 February 2012 - 09:05 PM

View PostEnigma, on 08 February 2012 - 07:41 PM, said:

By all means, enlighten the mere mortals of this forum with insight into the arcane art of scouting. Bonus points will be added for use of iambic pentameter and paying particular attention to effectively evaluating prospects with less than superlative athletic ability (e.g., Calvin Johnson). I prefer the Millen technique, but I am open to other possibilities.

I think you should be asking Vin himself this question. He is after all the same guy who thinks Sanu is "well worth the 30th pick" without any explanation as to why he thinks that. I happen to disagree, and listed the reasons why in a previous post. I then realized that Vin's opinion shifts as much as the wind on a beach, and think when his opinion is not changing 10 times per day, he's fairly clueless. I never said I was an expert. There very well might be people on this forum who know more than me. Vin is not one of them.

#23 Guest_v-ault2_*

• Guests

Posted 08 February 2012 - 09:17 PM

View Postphlysac, on 08 February 2012 - 07:06 PM, said:

Sanu is a risk. Purely an "upside" pick. Tremendous athleticism, but extremely raw. Has only played WR for 3 years (like Michael Crabtree.) Sanu was a quarterback and safety in highschool and sat out his Senior season because of his age.

Alot of the things v-ault said have merit. It's up to the people who get paid to evaluate to determine if his issues are a lack of ability or a lack of technique and experience.

I tend to lean towards inexperience.

I happen to think you're overrating his athleticism. Would be very surprised if he times a sub 4.5.

#24 OFFLINE   Vin

• Mods
  • 34,352 posts

• Favorite 49er
    VDforTD's mom's mom.

• Player Sponsored
    Brad Brad

Posted 08 February 2012 - 09:17 PM

View Postv-ault2, on 08 February 2012 - 09:05 PM, said:

I think you should be asking Vin himself this question. He is, after all, the same guy who thinks Sanu is "well worth the 30th pick", without any explanation as to why he thinks that. I happen to disagree, and listed the reasons why in a previous post. I then realized that Vin's opinion shifts as much as the wind on a beach, and happen to think when his opinion is not changing, he's fairly clueless. I never said I was an expert. There very well might be people on this forum who know more than me. Vin is not one of them.

:rofl:

Oh I forgot...you're the great v-ault/goreoffense....the epitome of football knowledge. So happy I could be the subject of your comparison in terms of football knowledge though :lol:

I think I speak for EVERYONE on this forum when I say this wholeheartedly:

You are a troll. Nothing more, nothing else. We keep you around from time to time because

1) You keep coming back because you have nothing better to do in your time. Who seriously makes up 10,000 names and identities on an internet forum and keeps harping the same thing OVER and OVER again? It's fine if you're a 15 year old or something like that, but if you're some sort of grown adult or college student as you claim to be, that's actually really, really sad. In all honesty, we all wish you would shut the fuck up because nobody really cares about your opinion.

2) You amuse/grab our attention in the way of some sort of horrible accident on the freeway or some sort of retard that can do some funny trick.

Your shtick is getting pretty old though. You do realize that this is a small football forum right? That if you are this great football genius then maybe you should invest that time into bigger and better things. Because I promise you that if you think that you're somehow gaining anything but telling us your bullshit here, you're delusional and mistaken.

But I honestly don't believe you're serious about most of the things you state. You try to get a rise out of the board members. Hence the train wreck comparison.

Whether this team does well or not is of absolutely o no matter to you. You will ALWAYS say stupid shit and go against the majority opinion just so that you can be that prick that everyone keeps feeding. You love aggravation as if it's this big thing that you can go back and say "I told you so!" to about 20 other people on the internet.

Awesome shit dude. We all know that you go on youtube.com, pull up the highlight reel on most of these people you "scout" and then try to pass it off like you're a pro GM. Thus, I offer you no explanation or seriousness in discussion because I don't believe you to be a serious person, but rather, the most delusional troll on the planet.

#25 Guest_v-ault2_*

• Guests

Posted 08 February 2012 - 09:29 PM

View PostVin, on 08 February 2012 - 09:17 PM, said:

:rofl:

Oh I forgot...you're the great v-ault/goreoffense....the epitome of football knowledge. So happy I could be the subject of your comparison in terms of football knowledge though :lol:

I've made two IDs. V-ault and V-ault2. All these recent posts attacking you are by GO.

#2) Though most of what you said is probably targeted at goreoffense, since you apparently even think he's me when trolls you on aim, there's no room to talk dissing him since you have 30,000 posts on this forum. And half of those posts probably long enough to be a college essay.

#26 OFFLINE   Vin

• Mods
  • 34,352 posts

• Favorite 49er
    VDforTD's mom's mom.

• Player Sponsored
    Brad Brad

Posted 08 February 2012 - 11:38 PM

And why does GoreOffense speak through you, exactly? Other than the fact that he's banned here?

Posted Image

#27 OFFLINE   phlysac

Cruelty!

• Elite
  • 12,216 posts

• Favorite 49er
    Ronnie Lott

Posted 09 February 2012 - 06:05 AM

View Postv-ault2, on 08 February 2012 - 09:17 PM, said:

I happen to think you're overrating his athleticism. Would be very surprised if he times a sub 4.5.

Straight-line speed and athleticism aren't necessarily related.

It's very possible that his short-comings are lack of ability instead of technique but I'm on one side of the fence.

I can relate it recently to LeSean McCoy. People freaked out because he timed poorly in the 40 and had a poor showing in the vertical and broad jump.

However, his "athleticism" or perceived lack-there-of, was only an issue in testing phases and not translatable to the filed, as he has proven to be one of the more athletically shifty and quick offensive weapons in football.

#28 OFFLINE   AZ9er

Brass Baalkes

• Admin
  • 9,638 posts
  • Joined 10 Years, 7 Months and 3 Days

Posted 09 February 2012 - 07:42 AM

View PostVin, on 08 February 2012 - 09:17 PM, said:

I think I speak for EVERYONE on this forum when I say this wholeheartedly:

You are a troll. Nothing more, nothing else. We keep you around from time to time because

This sounds vaguely familiar.... ;)

...I'll admit, while we were losing, your act was tolerable and at times even amusing but let's be realistic... It's become trite and you're nothing more than a troll these days, arguing nonsense to felate your own ego. Most people on this board cringe every time they see a new post of yours.

:whistle:

#29 OFFLINE   Vin

• Mods
  • 34,352 posts

• Favorite 49er
    VDforTD's mom's mom.

• Player Sponsored
    Brad Brad

Posted 09 February 2012 - 09:51 AM

We must be brothers from another mother?

Anyhoo...getting back on topic regarding Sanu:

Yes, his experience at WR has been lacking as phlysac pointed out, with only 3 years there. However, in those 3 years, I really love his catch production. They fed him at Rutgers and he would have games where he could pile on 10-11-12-13 catches.

Now the downside to that is that his YPC was only around a 10.5, which is very Wes Welker'esque. But was that him or was that the offense and how they used him?

You're probably not getting Kenny Britt (another Rutgers' WR taken in the later 1st round) in terms of explosion, but I do see the potential for more "explosive plays" in Sanu. When he runs, he looks like a long strider with great lower body strength. Some of his work from the wild cat displayed his athleticism and explosive potential. He's also 6'2 215 so it's not like you're getting a midget slot WR who happens to catch a bunch of passes in a spread offense. Now, do I think he'll be a target deep down the field consistently? That remains to be seen, but I certainly think it could happen. He shows flashes from time to time. If it doesn't, you're still getting a very good possession guy. I've heard comparisons to Hakeem Nicks and I'd take that. Unlike others, I believe that Crabtree can be a #1 guy and if you're essentially getting perhaps another Michael Crabtree at 30, that's not a bad thing. Oh and Sanu has the potential to be a great blocker, which is another asset in Harbaugh's offense.

I know that we require someone that can stretch the field and Kendall Wright might be more appropriate in that regard with his speed where as Sanu is rawer in that aspect or just shows some potential there. However, in this type of offense, if you have receivers that you can feed the ball to 10+ times a game in Crabtree and Sanu and then you can find someone with speed to play the slot position later on, that's not such a bad thing either.

And I really don't care what Sanu runs in his 40 unless it's something really bad like a 4.7-4.8. A 4.5 would be just fine. As phlysac said above, athleticism and straight line speed are completely different things. As it is, Sanu looks like he has a great stride and his lower body is built well...he might not post the fastest 40 but he looks like he has the potential to be a complete WR in time.

#30 Guest_EpicDefense_*

• Guests

Posted 29 June 2012 - 11:41 AM

Good calls by the Scouts here. Sanu has "tremendous athleticism", as phlysac pointed out. Dat 4.65 speed bro. What an athlete!

And well worth the 1st round according to Vin. Good call. The football insight on this board is tremendous.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users