Russell Wilson: studying "The Asterisk"

21 replies to this topic

#1 ONLINE   Enigma

Giovanni Carmazzi

• Elite
  • 2,190 posts
  • Joined 8 Years, 5 Months and 25 Days

Posted 09 April 2012 - 06:04 PM

Article here. Sample portion reproduced below.

#2 ONLINE   Enigma

Giovanni Carmazzi

• Elite
  • 2,190 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 06:05 PM

Throwing Receivers Open

The best quarterbacks in the NFL have become skilled at delivering the football to a spot where only the receiver has a chance to make a play on it. Wilson is adept at throwing receivers open in a variety of situations. Here’s a play-action bootleg against North Carolina where Wilson completes a 48-yard pass on first-and-10.

Posted Image

The play begins with an excellent play-action fake where Wilson not only extends the ball towards the runner, but he completes the action by turning his head towards the line of scrimmage just before he begins his roll to the opposite side of the field.

Posted Image

This is a level of detail that Wilson executes consistently with his play-action fakes, and it helps freeze the defense an extra beat before he begins his rollouts. On this play, the N.C. State quarterback unfurls a deep ball that he places 40 yards downfield, intentionally to the sideline, so his receiver can make the best adjustment against his coverage for the reception.

Posted Image

As you can see above, Wilson’s receiver is looking to the inside, but Wilson knows that he is less likely to deliver an accurate deep ball with a throw to the inside, since he’ll have to make that throw across his body. Instead, Wilson places the ball short and to the outside.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Considering that Wilson has repeatedly demonstrated the ability to throw the ball 50-55 yards on the move with accuracy, I believe the placement of this 48-yard completion was intentionally short and to the outside to give his receiver the best chance to make the play.

#3 ONLINE   Enigma

Giovanni Carmazzi

• Elite
  • 2,190 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 06:07 PM

The Asterisk
Russell Wilson, Wisconsin: 2,650 DYAR

Important stats: 48 games started, 60.7% completion rate, senior passer rating rose 64.1 points.
I would be remiss if I didn't at least mention the ridiculous projection that the Lewin Career Forecast spits out for Russell Wilson. Yes, that projection is even higher than the one for Robert Griffin. No, it doesn't particularly mean that Wilson is a sleeper prospect. There are a few things going on here that the LCF is just not designed to account for.

First and foremost, the change in Wilson's passer rating between his junior and senior years is insane. Remember that earlier I noted that Griffin had a larger senior year passer rating increase than any quarterback in our data set? Well, Wilson's senior year passer rating increase is 40 percent larger than Griffin's. But does it matter when the quarterback is playing in a completely different offense for a completely different school in his last year of college eligibility? At Wisconsin, Wilson got to pick apart defenses that were concentrating on stopping Montee Ball. At North Carolina State, I doubt opponents were quaking in their boots at the thought of Mustafa Greene and Dean Haynes. It goes without saying that there isn't another quarterback in the LCF data set who transferred between his junior and senior years.

There's also the issue of height, another data point where there's nobody in our data set that can be compared to Wilson. At first, it seems strange that LCF doesn't include a variable to discount short quarterbacks, but when you look at the data set that went into creating LCF the reasons are pretty clear. There's no penalty for being 5-foot-11, like Wilson is, because there are no quarterbacks in the data set who are shorter than 6-foot-0. There's no penalty for being only 6-foot-0 because the two quarterbacks who are 6-foot-0 are Drew Brees and Michael Vick.

Quarterbacks who are Wilson's height simply don't get drafted in the first three rounds of the draft, period. The FO master database only includes three quarterbacks who are below six feet tall: Seneca Wallace, Joe Hamilton, and Flutie. That's a fourth-round pick, a seventh-round pick, and an 11th round pick from 25 years ago. Even if we go all the way back to 1991, the only quarterbacks taken in the first six rounds at 6-foot-0 or shorter were Vick, Brees, Wallace, Joe Germaine (fourth round, 1999), and Troy Smith (fifth round, 2007).

Wilson too will probably be drafted on the third day of the draft, round four or later, which would render his absurdly high LCF moot.

From a separate article.

#4 OFFLINE   phlysac

Cruelty!

• Elite
  • 12,216 posts
  • Joined 10 Years, 5 Months and 20 Days

• Favorite 49er
    Ronnie Lott

Posted 09 April 2012 - 06:12 PM

:wub: Russell Wilson

#5 OFFLINE   Brandon

Not a 49erholic

• Mods
  • 18,725 posts
  • Joined 11 Years, 7 Months

• Favorite 49er
    Sourdough Sam

• Player Sponsored
    B

Posted 09 April 2012 - 06:33 PM

Loved reading that, love Russell Wilson. What stuck out to me is that while he was great at NC State doing what was outlined there, he was markedly improved (at least in my eyes) at Wisconsin playing in the Big Ten. I hope he finds success wherever he does go, despite the things that will hold his opportunities back because he's a hell of an athlete and a quarterback. His speed and quickness are almost forgotten about because he's such an efficient passer until he scrambles and picks up chunks of yardage in seemingly ten strides.

Love this kid.

#6 OFFLINE   AZ9er

Brass Baalkes

• Admin
  • 9,638 posts
  • Joined 10 Years, 7 Months and 4 Days

Posted 09 April 2012 - 09:01 PM

*sigh*

If only he were 6'4"... the only debate we'd be having is how he'd spend his millions as the #2 overall pick in a few weeks....

#7 OFFLINE   9ersfan

Giovanni Carmazzi

• Holics
  • 6,737 posts
  • Joined 10 Years, 5 Months and 22 Days

Posted 10 April 2012 - 04:47 AM

Lets not forget that last year he played with a RB who broke Barry Sander's touchdown record. (and IMO should have won the heisman)

Having said that, I think a place like SF is a great place for Wilson. We have a run heavy offense with a solid offensive line, and he has proven that he is capable of not turning the ball over. Which is exactly what Harbaugh preaches, and is why Alex Smith is still our starting QB. Not sure if everyone knows but Wilson holds the NCAA record for most consecutive pass attempts w/out throwing a INT.

Plus he is light years ahead of Kaepernick from almost every standpoint. If we did draft Wilson, which I would love, I think 2 years down the road he's our starter.

#8 OFFLINE   phlysac

Cruelty!

• Elite
  • 12,216 posts

• Favorite 49er
    Ronnie Lott

Posted 10 April 2012 - 07:35 AM

View Post9ersfan, on 10 April 2012 - 04:47 AM, said:

Lets not forget that last year he played with a RB who broke Barry Sander's touchdown record. (and IMO should have won the heisman)

Don't get me wrong, I really like Montee Ball but consider...

The 2010 Badgers were more successful on the ground than the 2011 Badgers. They also had a 3-headed monster in Ball, John Clay, and James White. Ball and White shared responsibilities in 2011. As for the rushing TD record... Sanders had 37, Ball had 32. Ball had 38 TDs if you count his receiving TDs. But in regards to overall TDs, the 2010 Badgers rushed for 48 in 13 games while the 2011 Badgers had 48 TDs in 14 games.

#9 ONLINE   B

Brandon drinking orange juice!

• Mods
  • 11,709 posts
  • Joined 8 Years, 8 Months and 22 Days

• Player Sponsored
    Brandon & crim

Posted 10 April 2012 - 08:47 AM

Sanders did his in 12 games, as well.

#10 ONLINE   Enigma

Giovanni Carmazzi

• Elite
  • 2,190 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:28 AM

Sanders led the nation by averaging 7.6 yards per carry and over 200 yards per game, including rushing for over 300 yards in four games. Despite his massive workload of 344 carries, Sanders was still used as the team's punt and kickoff returner, adding another 516 yards on special teams. He set college football season records with 2,628 yards rushing, 3,248 total yards, 234 points, 39 touchdowns, of which 37 were rushing (also a record), 5 consecutive 200 yard games, scored at least 2 touchdowns in 11 consecutive games, and 9 times he scored at least 3 touchdowns. Sanders also ran for 222 yards and scored 5 touchdowns in his three quarters of action in the Holiday Bowl - a game that was not included with his season statistics.

Sanders - 39 touchdowns (44 if including the bowl game)
Ball - 39 touchdowns including the bowl game

#11 OFFLINE   Vin

The shadows betray you because they belong to me!

• Mods
  • 34,353 posts
  • Joined 10 Years, 5 Months and 19 Days

• Favorite 49er
    VDforTD's mom's mom.

• Player Sponsored
    Brad Brad

Posted 10 April 2012 - 12:12 PM

As much as I'd like to draft this guy we already have Kaep and Josh Johnson...I dunno if there's enough room for him here, unless we were to keep 4 QBs on the active roster.

#12 OFFLINE   bicepslikeboston

Giovanni Carmazzi

• Holics
  • 1,874 posts
  • Joined 10 Years, 5 Months and 12 Days

Posted 10 April 2012 - 02:36 PM

I lived in Raleigh for the past two years prior to moving back to the bay area in August, and I lived with some rabid NC State fans for awhile, saw alot of Russel Wilson and I really like him as a prospect. Watched him on Grudens QB Camp and he comes across as very mature, intelligent and knows alot of football from being in two different systems with the WCO at NC state and then at Wisconsin. I dont see us draftiung him because of the log jam at QB....but i think Wilson could be a starter in the league given the right situation...course hell get fucked because hes not tall enough.

#13 OFFLINE   RB

The NLO's Caliph of Ass Kickin

• Holics
  • 9,629 posts
  • Joined 11 Years, 1 Month and 2 Days

• Favorite 49er
    I fucking HATE the Yorks

Posted 10 April 2012 - 05:11 PM

Great read, watched his highlight video and of course he looks good. LOL

Know what's so great about thinking about our draft this year?
We's gots motherfuckers in charge that know what the fuck they're doing!

#14 OFFLINE   Haterade

Giovanni Carmazzi

• Holics
  • 2,436 posts
  • Joined 11 Years, 5 Months and 23 Days

Posted 11 April 2012 - 09:36 AM

I like Wilson a decent bit, but I don't think he will be more than a marginal starter / good backup. I could see him having some good games here and there if he managed to get a starting opportunity, but be unable to play at a consistently good level.

That would be nothing to scoff at considering how many teams can use that sort of guy, and a great value for where he is likely to be taken. I just don't think he will shock everyone and become a franchise guy a team can build around. He's got as good a shot as anyone in this draft though, and not many QBs ever do reach that level. I definitely like him more than guys like Cousins, Foles, and Weeden.

#15 OFFLINE   phlysac

Cruelty!

• Elite
  • 12,216 posts

• Favorite 49er
    Ronnie Lott

Posted 11 April 2012 - 12:19 PM

View PostHaterade, on 11 April 2012 - 09:36 AM, said:

I definitely like him more than guys like Cousins, Foles, and Weeden.

Yeah, guys like Todd McShay mentioned Foles as having 2nd round value. I might be in the minority but he's not even one of my top-10 QBs.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users