- - - - -

If Alex is as good as everyone says he is, No need to take receiver Round 1

31 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_v-ault2_*

• Guests
  • Joined 45 Years, 8 Months and 2 Days

Posted 07 February 2012 - 05:48 PM

It's been proven with many other teams how easily good wideouts are found later in the draft. Let's take a look.

Victor Cruz-undrafted
Mike Wallace- 4th round
Antonio Brown-undrafted
Marques Colston-7th round
Steve Smith CAR-3rd round
Brandon Marshall-4th round
Stevie Johnson-7th round
Malcolm Floyd-undrafted
Laurent Robinson-3rd round, cut, dicked around until signed by Cowboys this year
Nate Washington-undrafted
Wes Welker undrafted
Greg Jennings-2nd round
Mario Manningham-3rd round
Jordy Nelson-2nd round
Doug Baldwin-undrafted
Denarius Moore-5th round
Jacoby Ford-3rd round
Vincent Jackson 2nd round
Desean jackson-2nd round
Pierre Garcon-6th round

Now some names that were 1st round

Calvin(IMO, exception to rule)
Fitzgerald
Hakeem Nicks
Roddy White(led NFL in drops)
AJ Green
Julio Jones
Percy harvin
Jeremy Maclin
Dez Bryant
Michael crabtree
DHB

I've left a few names off both lists but you get the point. I'd have to say the Non 1st round list looks a whole helluva lot better. I think it's safe to say that the value for WR's these days is 2nd round and lower, unless some out of this world athlete like a Calvin comes along.

Of course, I can only imagine the whining from this board if we happen to take, say a corner, or pass rusher with our 1st this year. Apparently we need to spend the first 4 picks on receivers and lineman, even if this receiver class is fairly weak.

Michael Floyd, Justin Blackmon, Kendall Wright...none of these names scream 1st round value to me. Mohamed Sanu does nothing for me either. Alshon Jeffery will be lucky to run a 4.7 and he's got a gut the size of Texas. The value, IMO, will be in the 2nd to middle rounds with guys like Joe Adams, Jarius Wright, Juron Criner, Marvin Mcnutt, Brian Quick etc.....

#2 OFFLINE   Vin

The shadows betray you because they belong to me!

• Mods
  • 34,353 posts
  • Joined 10 Years, 5 Months and 19 Days

• Favorite 49er
    VDforTD's mom's mom.

• Player Sponsored
    Brad Brad

Posted 07 February 2012 - 06:16 PM

Sanu will be well worth taking if he's there at 30. Kendall Wright is also not bad although I don't know if he'll be a complementary player in the NFL or a legit go to guy.

It comes down to BPA and need. If there is a WR worthy of taking at 30 that trumps the rest of our board, we'd be wise to take one. Otherwise, I wouldn't mind drafting another defensive player if the value at WR isn't there.

Also...of course there are a ton of great WR examples from rounds 2 - undrafted...the sample size of those rounds is huge compared to the first round. Until recently, WRs were far from sure things with top 10 picks and teams didn't really like taking them that high. Hits in the form of Calvin Johnson and Larry Fitzgerald have kind of picked things up but it's one of those positions where you get the best value probably in late 1st - 3rd unless there is an absolute sure thing like a Calvin Johnson available.

#3 OFFLINE   Fatso

Confused with class

• Holics
  • 4,401 posts
  • Joined 10 Years, 6 Months and 26 Days

• Favorite 49er
    Brad Pinion

Posted 07 February 2012 - 06:32 PM

Antonio Brown was drafted, Anquan Boldin was a 2nd rd pick, and Malcolm Floyd was a 3rd

I'm with you though. Don't reach for position if none of the top guys we like are there at 30. It'd be really nice to get another passrusher.

#4 ONLINE   .E.

Peaches

• Owner
  • 37,519 posts
  • Joined 12 Years and 15 Days

• Favorite 49er
    Bradley Pinion

Posted 07 February 2012 - 08:27 PM

Quick. Someone send this post to Baalke.

#5 OFFLINE   Midwest49er

Jim Druckenmiller

• Holics
  • 779 posts
  • Joined 11 Years, 6 Months and 20 Days

• Favorite 49er
    Ronnie Lott

Posted 07 February 2012 - 09:16 PM

There is also no reason to draft a pass rusher as John Randle was undrafted and look at how good he was......

#6 OFFLINE   Enigma

Giovanni Carmazzi

• Elite
  • 2,191 posts
  • Joined 8 Years, 5 Months and 25 Days

Posted 07 February 2012 - 09:26 PM

Kyle Williams -- sixth round.

#7 OFFLINE   Vin

The shadows betray you because they belong to me!

• Mods
  • 34,353 posts
  • Joined 10 Years, 5 Months and 19 Days

• Favorite 49er
    VDforTD's mom's mom.

• Player Sponsored
    Brad Brad

Posted 07 February 2012 - 11:28 PM

View PostErickson, on 07 February 2012 - 08:27 PM, said:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Rams GM job is vacant.

#8 Guest_v-ault2_*

• Guests

Posted 08 February 2012 - 01:12 AM

View PostFatso, on 07 February 2012 - 06:32 PM, said:

Antonio Brown was drafted, Anquan Boldin was a 2nd rd pick, and Malcolm Floyd was a 3rd

I'm with you though. Don't reach for position if none of the top guys we like are there at 30. It'd be really nice to get another passrusher.

1) You're thinking of Floyd's older brother. He was drafted in the 3rd by the Rams. I'm talking about the Malcolm Floyd that plays on the Chargers currently that was undrafted out of Wyoming. He had one of the better YPC's this year and has great size.2) I didn't mention Boldin. 3) Correct on Brown, as he was a 6th round pick.As for pass rusher, I agree. There are obviously more pressing needs, but why not build s strength into a force? We add another capable rusher and we're talking about one of the GOAT Front 7's of all time

#9 Guest_v-ault2_*

• Guests

Posted 08 February 2012 - 01:13 AM

View PostErickson, on 07 February 2012 - 08:27 PM, said:

Hilarious. We should send this right after all the other posts on the forum discussing what to do in the offseason. There are quite a few of those, right? Just checking.

#10 Guest_v-ault2_*

• Guests

Posted 08 February 2012 - 01:18 AM

View PostMidwest49er, on 07 February 2012 - 09:16 PM, said:

There is also no reason to draft a pass rusher as John Randle was undrafted and look at how good he was......

Randle was an undersized Tampa 2 DT. But I get the point you're trying to make, as awful as it is. Why should we draft a QB, Kurt Warner was undrafted.Why should we draft a RB to replace Gore, Arian Foster was undrafted.Why should we draft a TE, Antonio Gates was undrafted.Why should we draft a ILB, London Fletcher was undrafted,Etc...Yes you can say that for any position. The point I was trying to illustrate is that the value for WR's is not there in the 1st round, unless, as I said, an otherwordly athlete is available. This same rule applies to RB's as well, unless the RB happens to be a physical monster like Adrian Peterson( or Trent Richardson, this year).

#11 Guest_v-ault2_*

• Guests

Posted 08 February 2012 - 01:30 AM

View PostVin, on 07 February 2012 - 06:16 PM, said:

Sanu will be well worth taking if he's there at 30. Kendall Wright is also not bad although I don't know if he'll be a complementary player in the NFL or a legit go to guy.

It comes down to BPA and need. If there is a WR worthy of taking at 30 that trumps the rest of our board, we'd be wise to take one. Otherwise, I wouldn't mind drafting another defensive player if the value at WR isn't there.

Also...of course there are a ton of great WR examples from rounds 2 - undrafted...the sample size of those rounds is huge compared to the first round. Until recently, WRs were far from sure things with top 10 picks and teams didn't really like taking them that high. Hits in the form of Calvin Johnson and Larry Fitzgerald have kind of picked things up but it's one of those positions where you get the best value probably in late 1st - 3rd unless there is an absolute sure thing like a Calvin Johnson available.

Care to explain why on Sanu? I see a #2 WR. Late 2nd round value IMO. Has a physical skill set for sure, but the deep speed is not there for me to say he's a #1 WR prospect. Tough, will break tackles, powerful. Not much of a route runner. Don't see a quick twitch in his cuts. Reminds me a lot of Early Doucet from back in the day.Kendall Wright is intriguing, but he also plays in a spread offense. Lacks size. Deep speed is definitely there. How much of it though is RGIII throwing perfectly placed bombs to him? He could be a Mike Wallace, or he could be a Ted Ginn. Not willing to risk a 1st on him. I do like him more than Sanu however.I guess I just dont see a vast gap of talent between the projected 1st rounders and the middle round guys this year. You want size, Juron Criner is probably there in the 2nd or 3rd. You want speed, your best bets are Jarius Wright and Joe Adams(both in my mind are a tick faster than Wright, and quicker.) Brian Quick also is impressive with his size and hands as a potential #2 target.As for whether we should draft defense, I'm not limited to that side of the ball. I thought Goodwin this year was very average and it was clear he was a product of Brees and the NO scheme. Wouldn't mind taking a hard look at the C Konz from Wisconsin, or Jones from Georgia. A tackle and moving A Davis to guard wouldn't be a horrible idea either.

#12 OFFLINE   AZ9er

Brass Baalkes

• Admin
  • 9,638 posts
  • Joined 10 Years, 7 Months and 4 Days

Posted 08 February 2012 - 07:47 AM

After watching more video on Sanu, my excitement for him is dying down. He's not particularly fast, he's a raw route runner, and his college production wasn't particularly impressive. He is shows a bit of shiftiness in the open field, but nothing special. I'm surely biased, but I don't see much that differentiates him from Juron Criner other than perhaps 0.04 seconds on a 40 yard dash time and Criner catches the ball a lot better.

The only WR with a first round grade that I could see making a huge impact for us is Kendall Wright. Aside from that, I think #30 would be best utilized drafting a CB, OLB, or OG.. while addressing the WR spot with our 2nd and 4th rounders... Juron Criner and Joe Adams respectively.

#13 OFFLINE   phlysac

Cruelty!

• Elite
  • 12,216 posts
  • Joined 10 Years, 5 Months and 20 Days

• Favorite 49er
    Ronnie Lott

Posted 08 February 2012 - 08:38 AM

WR, CB, and DT, at least Pre-Combine, seem to have the deepest pool of "late-1st/early2nd" talent.

Outside of those positions, there are a handful of players I definitely wouldn't mind at #30, and you're absolutely right if WR isn't clearly BPA...

C - Peter Konz
TE - Coby Fleener
OLB - Andre Branch, Whitney Mercilus
DE - Jerel Worthy, Fletcher Cox, Dontari Poe (NT), Kendall Reyes

Branch is the guy I'm looking at more closely.

#14 OFFLINE   AZ9er

Brass Baalkes

• Admin
  • 9,638 posts
  • Joined 10 Years, 7 Months and 4 Days

Posted 08 February 2012 - 08:54 AM

What are your thoughts on Jared Crick at #30 as an understudy to Justin Smith?

#15 OFFLINE   phlysac

Cruelty!

• Elite
  • 12,216 posts
  • Joined 10 Years, 5 Months and 20 Days

• Favorite 49er
    Ronnie Lott

Posted 08 February 2012 - 09:06 AM

Crick is a player whose stock can truly depend on his medical. The torn pectoral is scary. Especially considering he'll probably be asked to bulk up. He's not an exciting player, much more Aaron Smith that Justin Smith. He's really solid at anchoring and shedding. He won't push the pocket very much.

If he gets a clean bill of health, he definitely could be a consideration. I tend to lean towards Fletcher Cox because, at least to me, he appears to be much more athletic and quick of the ball. Has more penetrating ability a la Justin Smith.

What makes Crick intriguing is his motor, which often draws the Justin Smith comparison. I was really high on Crick entering the season but his injury red-flags have soured me and perhaps I've not given him a fair shot.

That and my confidence regarding 5-Tech has softened. I had Cam Jordan and Cam Heyward over JJ Watt last year.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users