The offseason has begun.
The 49ers enter the offseason with 12 Draft picks and 13 free agents (10 UFA, 2 RFA and 1 EFA.) We’ll take a look at some of the upcoming key dates for the 2014 season leading up to the NFL Draft in May.
- Feb. 17: First day for clubs to designate franchise or transition Players.
- Feb. 19-25: Combine, Lucas Oil Stadium, Indianapolis
- March 8-11: Clubs are permitted to contact, and enter into contract negotiations with, the certified agents of players who will become unrestricted free agents upon the expiration of their 2013 player contracts at 4 p.m. ET on March 11. However, a contract cannot be executed with a new club until 4 p.m. ET on March 11.
- March 11: New league year, free agency begins
- March 11: Before 4 p.m. ET, clubs must exercise options for 2014 on all players who have option clauses in their 2013 contracts.
- March 11: Before 4 p.m. ET, clubs must submit qualifying offers to their restricted free agents with expiring contracts.
- March 11: Before 4 p.m. ET, clubs must submit a minimum salary tender to retain exclusive negotiating rights to their players with expiring 2013 contracts and who have fewer than three accrued Seasons of free agency credit.
- March 11: All clubs must be under the 2014 salary cap before 4 p.m. ET.
- March 23-26: Owners meeting, Orlando, Fla.
- April 7: Clubs that hired a new head coach after the end of the 2013 regular season may begin off-season workout programs.
- April 21: Clubs with returning head coaches may begin off-season workout programs.
- May 2: Deadline for restricted free agents to sign offer sheets.
- May 7: Deadline for prior club to exercise right of first refusal to restricted free agents.
- May 8-10: NFL draft, New York, Radio City Music Hall. First round begins at 8 p.m. ET.