49ers head to Playoffs with roller coaster ride win over Patriots
The New England Patriots were 22-1 at home in December, they hadn’t lost at home since 2001. That is until now. The 49ers came in and in the first half played smash mouthed football, threw Tom Brady off his game and had at one point a 31-3 lead. However, for some reason Fangio went into zone defense and picked the 49ers apart and scored 28 unanswered points to tie it up 31-31. When the 49ers needed a big play they got it from a LaMichael James and Michael Crabtree. The 49ers hung on and kept Brady in check in the end when they needed to. Here are some quick notes from the game…
- Aldon Smith was held sackless, he needs 3.5 sacks in the last two games to break Strahan’s sack record.
- Colin Kaepernick made one bad pass the interception in the endzone, but he threw 4 touchdown passes, which made the difference.
- Rookie LaMichael James came up big with a kickoff return that setup the go ahead touchdown to Michael Crabtree.
- Justin Smith hurt his elbow, status unknown.
- Ray McDonald sacked Brady twice, even once with his helmet off.
- Frank Gore scored his 51st rushing touchdown of his career, which put him at No. 1 in all time rushing touchdowns for the 49ers.
- The 49ers picked off Tom Brady twice, which is unheard of in December and at home.
The 49ers made the playoffs with the win against New England. Here are the scenarios. If the 49ers win next weekend against the Seahawks, they win the West. The 49ers control their own destiny. If they win out they will win the West and hold the No. 2 seed in the Playoffs.