49ers win preseason opener 17-6
The 49ers opened the 2012 season with a solid win against the Minnesota Vikings, overall looked like the team is continuing where they left off from last year. The starting offense looked really good. They ran the ball well and Alex Smith finished the night 3 for 3, 16 yards and a touchdown. Colin Kaepernick had the play of the night with a 78 yard touchdown run. The defense really only had one bad play where miscommunication between Carlos Rogers and Dashon Goldson resulted in a 52 yard pass play. The running game overall is going to be what carries this offense. Frank Gore, Brandon Jacobs, Kendall Hunter and LaMichael James. Man it will be fun watching them run all over defenses.
One area of concern is Aldon Smith leaving the game with an injury and then being carted back to locker room. Latest reports are he left locker room walking on two canes.
Here are some observations from the game.
- Colin Kaepernick and Scott Tolzien will battle all preseason for the 2nd QB position. Josh Johnson is the odd man out. Both Kap and Tolzien look more polished than Johnson at this time.
- Brandon Jacobs is going to be a great short yardage/goal line back for the 49ers.
- Andy Lee is still a god.
- Perrish Cox had a real good game and will be solid at the CB position. Had a good chance to be 3rd/4th CB.
- Eric Bakhtiari looked really good finished game with two sacks and has a legit shot to get an OLB position.
- Anthony Dixon is done. The question now is when will he get cut.
- AJ Jenkins had two nice catches and two poor drops. You can tell he is a rookie and he needs more time.
- Kyle Williams got lots of work as the punt returner and he did well.
- Aldon Smith’s injury. Not sure how severe, but hope not to serious. The defense really needs him.
Overall a solid performance from all units.