The NFL Draft is two weeks away, so we figured we’d compile a list of the top 10 draft mistakes the 49ers have made over the past 10 years. We decided we would only go 10 years back because we figured a player should be able to last 10 years in the league and 10 years is an enough time to at least contribute something.
- 10. Derrick Hamilton – Hamilton was selected in the 3rd round of the 2004 NFL Draft. He was supposed to be the big body receiver the 49ers were missing. Stats: 2 games, 0 receptions
- 9. Andrew Williams – Williams was a 3rd pick in the 2003 Draft. He was a DE out of Da U. Stats: 9 Games, 10 tackles.
- 8. Chilo Rachal – Rachal was a 2nd round pick in the 2008 NFL Draft. Rachal was supposed to hold down the RG position for years to come, but Rachal was too soft and couldn’t block well. Rachal did play in 55 games over 4 years, but he never lived up to his potential.
- 7. Mike Rumph – Rumph was selected 27th overall in the 2002 draft. Rumph lasted 4 years and his best season was 2003 where he started 13 games and had 3 interceptions. Rumph makes the list because of his overall contribution as a 1st round pick.
- 6. Taylor Mays – Mays was a 2nd round pick selected only two years ago and before we got to see more of Mays he was traded for a 2013 7th round pick. That tells you all you need to know.
- 5. Saleem Rasheed – Rasheed was a 2nd round pick in 2002. Saleem started only 4 games in 4 years and has a total of 28 tackles. He fasted more days than tackles.
- 4. Glen Coffee – Coffee was a 3rd round pick in 2009. Coffee was slated to become the heir apparent to Frank Gore. But Coffee has a different calling when he left the team and retired because his heart wasn’t in football and the Lord had a different path for him.
- 3. Kentwan Balmer – Balmer was a first rounder in the 2008 NFL Draft. He was drafted to plug up the middle but when they switched to 3-4 defense they moved him to end. Balmer never found his stride and was placed on IR not long after. He was traded in 2010 for a 6th round pick. But hey at least he and his father grew up Niner fans.
- 2. Kwame Harris – Harris was a 1st round pick (26th overall) in the 2003 NFL Draft. Harris lasted 5 years and played in 72 games, but he was known as the human penalty.
- 1. Rashaun Woods – Woods was a 1st round pick in 2004. The 49ers traded back twice and selected the WR out of Oklahoma State. He was one of the best receivers coming out of college. Woods finished his 49ers career with 7 receptions for 160 yards and 1 TD. He was eventually traded to the Chargers for Sammy Davis. However Woods was one badass bass fisherman.
The following players were mistakes but they missed out on the cut by a couple years. We’ll list them here as Honorable Mentions
Reggie McGrew, Jim Druckenmiller, Israel Ifeanyi