Scot and Nolan: A Love Story
I just finished watching the 49ers press conference today and if they were to make a sequel to Brokeback Mountain, Scot McCloughan and Mike Nolan would have the starring roles. There was so much manlove between the two I was uncomfortable. Scot played the PC role to a ‘T’ and Mike Nolan came off as arrogant, even to say at one point that, ‘I will remain the one voice, the face of the organization.’ Are you serious Mike?
- Get back on the winning track
- Scot McCloughan the new GM. Believed at the time when they hired him three years ago he would be elevated into that role.
- Excited about Scot becoming GM.
- Allows him to focus more on coaching.
- Did not have to convince ownership for fourth year.
- Head coach has final say on the coaching staff.
- Will not discuss the status of remaining coaching staff.
- Has candidates for OC but will not discuss now.
- Hostler was let go because he had to be held accountable.
- Did not hesitate to accept GM role.
- Big part of him taking GM role is that Nolan is still around.
- Continue to build through the draft and supplement through free agency.
- Wasn’t asked buy ownership regarding Nolan’s fate.
- Has power to fire head coach upon disussions with ownership.
- Good discussions with Shaun Hill about re-signing.
After listening for an hour, it doesn’t feel like anything has changed. It seems that the situation between Nolan and Scot will continue from this point forward. Only difference is Scot is now GM. Perhaps the best question of the day was someone asked Scot is he got an extension. He said ‘yes’ then they asked Nolan the same and he said ‘no.’
One thing Scot said that made me cringe was, ‘Our friendship is going to be there forever.’ I know you want the GM and head coach to get along, but do we really need them to be BFF’s.